Thursday 17 July 2014

Welcome to my blog


Why do I love to cook? 

35 years ago I met and fell in love with the most wonderful person in the world. Jen was a Home Economics teacher at the time and I was a farmer's son living at home, fed well and often. Given the opportunity to cook for myself from time to time saw me go to fried steak, eggs and potato. 

As a Home Ec. teacher Jen was all about taste, variety and vegetables. She made sure I ate correctly and well, hence my slow demise from an 8 stone weakling to a rather robust individual 35 years later.
I asked Jenny to teach me how to cook, she refused! What she said she would teach me was what happens to food when you cook it. How different ways of preparing the same food gives you different results, how adding small amounts of the correct spices creates wonderful results. How the toughest and meanest cuts of meat taste better than the finer cuts when prepared correctly. It has been a 20 year journey (I'm obviously a slow learner) and one that I have loved.
I believe there are many out there who would love to prepare something "different" from time to time rather than put the "meat and three veg" on the plate every night, but stall when it comes to what and how. Hopefully I would like my blog to provide some inspiration to the "what and how". To get you away from the boring tried and true, and give you some opportunity to experiment with easy to find healthy ingredients and simple to prepare tasty meals.

Hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment